i01: Energy efficiency in residential buildings (€300m)
This investment is the responsibility of the Environmental Fund and seeks to promote a significant wave of energy retrofits in residential buildings, promote energy and resource efficiency, strengthen energy production from renewable sources in self-consumption regime and the fight against energy poverty. These objectives can be attained as a result of single or cumulative actions:
- Passive environmental improvements, for example, through the thermal insulation of walls, roofs and glazing;
- Active improvements, for example, through climate control systems for heating and/or cooling (e.g. heat pumps) and domestic water heating (e.g. solar thermal);
- Active improvements through, for example, the implementation of renewable electrical energy generation systems, under a renewable energy self-consumption or community system;
- Interventions aimed at water efficiency, including replacing older equipment with more efficient new equipment;
- Interventions that promote the incorporation of biomaterials, recycled materials, natural-based solutions, green façades and roofs and bioclimatic architecture solutions on existing urban buildings and individual properties.