i01: Hydrogen and renewable gases (€185m)
The investments foreseen here, which are to be promoted by the Environmental Fund, may take place through several actions, particularly by supporting renewable gas production projects and tested technologies that are not yet sufficiently spread out across national territory, both aiming at self-consumption and/or integration into the national grid. The aim is to achieve 264 MW of renewable gas production capacity.
The production of renewable gases such as hydrogen or biomethane from exclusively renewable energy sources may result in a set of technologies emerging within the following categories:
- Electrolysis (electrochemical and photoelectrochemical processes);
- Thermochemical and hydrothermal processes (gasification and pyrolysis);
- Biological processes (biophotolysis and fermentation);
- Biogas enrichment from the anaerobic digestion of biomass materials (does not include biogas production);
- Methanation (renewable hydrogen combined with recycled carbon dioxide).
The Environmental Fund is responsible for implementing this investment. To this end, it will have the support of the Directorate General for Energy and Geology (DGEG), given its specific competences in this area. Such support will be particularly important for the design of competitive procedures for accessing funding that are based on clear, transparent and non-discriminatory criteria, and for monitoring the implementation of this investment.