i01: Digital transition in Education (500 M€)
The proposed investments address the following challenges and objectives:
- Removing barriers to accessing quality internet in the school environment by ensuring the provision of quality internet connectivity to schools, to enable universal use of equipment and access to digital educational resources by pupils, teachers and management support staff in an educational context;
- Eliminating limitations to the integrated use of technological and digital equipment and overcoming the lack of specialised equipment needed to develop digital skills and stimulate the pursuit of STEAM careers, promoting equal participation of both genders, creating conditions for the integrated use of different technological equipment in the teaching-learning process, whether in-person, mixed or remote, and for the participation of students of both genders in specific projects for the development of digital skills;
- Overcoming the insufficient use of digital education resources in the teaching-learning and evaluation processes, creating conditions for the improvement and generalised use of digital educational resources, including in evaluation processes;
- Overcoming the dispersal and inefficiency of education system management and information systems, creating the conditions for efficient management of the digital transition process within the education system.
This investment will ensure the provision of quality connectivity to schools to facilitate the universal use of equipment and digital educational resources by students, teachers and management support staff in an educational context, to create the conditions for integrated use of different technological equipment in the teaching-learning process, whether in-person, mixed or remote, and for the participation of students in specific projects for the development of digital skills, for the generalised use of digital educational resources, including in evaluation processes and for the efficient management of the digital transition process in the educational system.
Among others, the following actions will be promoted:
- Extending the internet connectivity of the Extended Education Network to 300 Gbps;
- Providing at least 90% of schools with a connection to the Extended Education Network with a minimum capacity of 1 Gbps and extending local area networks to all schools, with emphasis on Wi-Fi networks, in all primary and secondary schools in the public network;
- Creation of around 1300 Digital Education Laboratories;
- Providing schools with projection equipment in 40,000 classrooms;
- Providing resources and digital educational content for the entire curricular matrix (330 subjects);
- Acquisition of 600,000 computers for individual use (students and teachers).